About the ECB:
The Environmental Control Board is a type of court called an administrative tribunal. It is like a court, but is not part of the state court system. ECB judges hear cases on potential violations of the laws that protect the City’s quality of life.
ECB Quick Facts
- ECB is separate from the agencies that issue Notices of Violation (or tickets).
- ECB is the independent administrative court where someone who gets a ticket must come to contest the charges in the ticket.
- 13 different City agencies write quality-of-life tickets and file them with ECB for hearings.
- If a judge finds that you have violated a law, the judge may order you to correct the violation and may fine you.
- All fines are set by law so ECB judges cannot change or waive fine amounts. If a judge rules that you are in violation of a charge, the judge must impose the legal penalty of that charge.